Feel like you’re not as successful as you should be? Take a breath! Here are 10 common sense success strategies for the future:
1. S l o w it down. Don’t permit 24/7 access to you. (Just because it’s possible, doesn’t mean it has to be!) To be your best, you need sleep, take vacations, and keep doctor’s appointments to stay healthy and sharp. Create reasonable boundaries with your employer, co-workers, and family to protect your health and your energy.
2. Keep it personal. Make a personal connection by picking up the phone and actually speaking to another person. Don’t rely too heavily on email and texting.
3. Back to basics. Remember the power of saying “please,” “thank you,” and sending a handwritten thank you note. More than ever, these things will make you stand out from the rest.
4. Be generous with help or information, even when no one is watching. They are. Volunteer to work on a project, especially if the team is comprised of decision-makers in your company. The word gets around. People notice when you go above and beyond with a smile and by rolling up your sleeves.
5. Positive breeds positive and negativity is infectious like a virus. This applies to your can-do attitude, demeanor, and actions.
6. Commit to perfect spelling, grammar, and using upper/lower case in all your writing. This speaks to your professionalism.
7. Strive to not take offense easily. Nine times out of ten, it’s about them, not you. Don’t waste valuable time stewing. Give it a day and chances are, the issue will have been resolved. If not, speak up and address it yourself. Don’t allow elephants in the room.
8. Show respect and expect respect – to everyone. No exceptions.
9. Lifelong learning is the way to go. Commit to learning something new at least once a week. This makes you marketable and open to what’s coming next.
10. Keep your perspective. Look around. Would you really trade places with anyone?
Tweak your attitude and get ready for a fantastic 2013!
Photo Credit: Shutterstock