Your job search is like a full-time job. In fact, I’m sure many job seekers would argue that their job search takes up more time than a full-time job would.
That being said, a vacation is almost certainly one of the farthest things from your mind while you’re searching for a new job. For some, it’s because of financial reasons. For others, sparing even one day to recharge seems out of the question.
What do you think: Should job seekers take a vacation?
I’m going to argue for both sides.
Why You Need A Vacation
Finding a new job is tough. It’s stressful and confusing. It drains your energy. A vacation – no matter how small – is a great way to recharge your batteries and get a fresh perspective on things. After all, everyone needs a break once in a while. Why not job seekers too?
If you’re considering taking a vacation, keep the following in mind:
- Unplug, but keep your phone handy. You never know when an employer might give you a call for an interview. It might also be helpful to connect your email account to your phone for periodic inbox checks.
- Complete job applications and next steps before taking off on a trip. That way, you won’t miss any application deadlines or look like an uninterested candidate.
- Be realistic about the amount of time you can vacation. You probably can’t afford being unemployed for too long – so don’t squash your chances at landing a new job by jetting off for several weeks!
- Keep finances in mind. Hopefully you’ve got a small nest egg put away to get you through your job search. Consider how realistic a vacation is at this point in your career, and plan accordingly.
Why You Should Sit Out On The Fun – For Now
On the flip side, many job seekers cannot afford to take the time off of their job search or don’t have the funds to take a trip—and that’s okay. There are other ways to take a break. Go out for a walk, head out to dinner with a friend, rent a movie, or participate in one of your favorite hobbies. Taking a few hours to relax can help you re-focus your job search efforts and bring back your sanity.
What do you think? As a job seeker, did you take a vacation? If not, how did you unwind in your spare time?
Enjoy this article? Check out these related articles:
- 10 Tips For Balancing Career And Family
- Balancing Your Work Life: What’s Your Ratio?
- 3 Strategies For Good Work-Life Balance
Photo Credit: Shutterstock